Among the plethora of travel destinations in the Middle East, Qatar is one of the most luxurious ones. The peninsular country of Qatar has some mesmerizing landscapes and offers a range of experiences to different types of travelers. If you are planning to visit this magnificent country, then here is a quick guide to help make your trip memorable.
Qatar fuses the traditional charm with modern architecture. The locals are mindful of their history and heritage but also look forward to a prosperous future. As a traveler, Qatar offers a complete experience – from Neolithic rock carvings to modern structures, ancient dwellings to skyscrapers, amazing museums, adventure sports, desert, sea, and many others. Experience the famous Arabian hospitality and revel in the perfect blend of the past, present, and future.
When Should You Visit Qatar?
Qatar experiences a hot and arid climate. Therefore, the best time to visit the country is from November to March. These are the winter and early spring months when the weather remains pleasant and cool compared to the scorching summer months.
Places to See in Qatar
Here are some places that you must consider visiting while in Qatar:
- Souq Waqif: In the heart of Doha, Qatar, Souq Waqif is a must-visit place for some memorable shopping and dining experiences.
- Doha Corniche: A 7 km long promenade from the Museum of Islamic Art to The Sheraton in Doha, the Corniche offers some breathtaking views of the city’s skyline.
- Qatar National Museum: Designed like a desert rose crystal, the Qatar National Museum in Doha offers an interesting glimpse into the history and heritage of the country.
- Katara Cultural Village: A wonderful glimpse into the traditional and contemporary Qatar with cultural shows, operas, a souq, and a beach, this is a must-visit place in Qatar.
- The Pearl: An artificial island replicating the charm of European architecture and scenic backdrops.
- Al Shahaniya Camel Racetrack: Camel racing is very popular in Qatar. You can visit this racetrack to witness a race or admire the best-groomed camels in the country.
- Inland Sea: One of the most beautiful places in Qatar is the Inland Sea – one of the few places on Earth where a desert meets the sea.
From India, you can take a flight to the Hamad International Airport in Doha to enter Qatar.
Places to Stay in Qatar
The capital of Qatar, Doha, is preferred by most travellers to the country as a place to stay. While Doha has a wide range of hotels, hostels, and homestay options, here are some neighbourhood recommendations:
- West Bay – for a bustling neighbourhood. Preferred by many first-time travellers to the country
- Al Baaya – Designed for families. If you are planning to visit Qatar with your kids and/or parents, then you might want to consider looking for accommodation in this area. Also, if you are travelling with your family, then look for a family travel insurance plan that offers coverage for all members.
- Near the airport – this is recommended for business travellers who are looking to be closer to the airport for flights in and out of Doha
- Katara Beach – This is another popular tourist destination with amazing views and numerous activities that you can participate in.
Qatar Visa Requirements
Qatar offers a Visa on Arrival to Indian citizens. As an Indian, you do not need a visa for visiting for up to 30 days. Once you get there, you can apply for an extension of up to 180 days. However, depending upon why you intend to visit the country, you might have to apply for an apt visa. There are different types of visas offered by Qatar, including:
- Tourist visa
- Family visa
- Business visa
- Student visa
- Work visa
- Transit visa
Getting Around Qatar
Qatar has a good public transport service with buses, taxis, and car rental services. Doha also has a metro service that connects various points of interest in the city.
When you travel to a foreign land, you need to be prepared for exigencies. With a change in the weather, food, water, and constant travelling, you are exposed to various risks. These include medical emergencies like falling ill or getting injured due to an accident and non-medical emergencies like theft of baggage and/or documents, flight cancellations, etc. Hence, it is prudent to opt for a Travel Insurance Qatar policy that offers coverage for all such emergencies.
Important Information About Qatar
Keep these things in mind before visiting Qatar:
- The official currency of Qatar is the Qatari Riyal.
- The Indian Embassy in Qatar is in Doha and can be reached at +974 4425 5777. You can email the Embassy at firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; or firstname.lastname@example.org;
Qatar is known for its hospitality, history, and culture. If you are planning to visit Qatar, then make sure that you plan your trip and consider buying a travel insurance policy to keep yourself protected from any emergencies. Many insurers offer such policies. Hence, research your options, compare insurers and plans, and choose the best policy for your trip.